Nuclear resister Jerry Ebner begins 6 month prison sentence

Jerry Ebner before being arrested at Offutt AFB on December 28, 2012.  Photo by Frank Cordaro

Jerry Ebner before being arrested at Offutt AFB on December 28, 2012. Photo by Frank Cordaro

On September 2, Jerry Ebner began a six month prison sentence for crossing the line at Offutt Air Force Base near Omaha, Nebraska during a December 28, 2012 Feast of the Holy Innocents witness.  The base is home to the U.S. Strategic Command, where officers and consultants constantly plan and prepare for global thermonuclear war.

Letters of support should be sent to Gerald Ebner 24467-045, Lexington Federal Medical Center, POB 14500, Lexington, KY 40512. Help with donations to his commissary account is also welcome. As with all contributions to a federal prisoner’s account, a postal money order payable to his full name and ID# must be sent to Federal Bureau of Prisons, Gerald A. Ebner 24467-045, POB 47401, Des Moines, IA 50947-0001.  Jerry has no source for cash on the inside except for what friends and supporters can send him, so please help if you are able.

Supporter Janice Sevre-Duszynska wrote on September 2:

Just a heads-up to let you know that Jerry and Denny Davis (Jerry’s ride from South Dakota) arrived here around around 8 a.m.-ish. They were both tired but had stopped to rest for awhile along the way.

Max Obeszewski talked with them on the deck while I made some coffee, scrambled eggs and ham, toasted bagels, fruit salad, etc.  Jerry ate something which I was happy to see and then Jerry wanted to leave to get to the prison (Lexington Men’s Federal Medical Center), so we left my home about 10 a.m. The drive is about 12 minutes or so.

At the Prison: Jerry called at the gate and they seemed a little confused about his coming. We were told to drive to the side of the prison where a huge bird flew over us, turned around and landed in the tree under which we were parked. We took the bird to be a good omen. It was almost as if the spirit of the bird was welcoming Jerry to prison and saying all the Good Spirits would walk in solidarity with him along with us.

Within 15 minutes or so, a Bureau of Prisons (BOP) corrections officer told us they were getting ready for Jerry. Inside the car, I  prayed over him and blessed him, reassuring him that the love of so many was embracing him. Within another 10 minutes or so, that same BOP officer drove alongside Jerry as he walked to the double gate, and the BOP officer opened it.

Jerry then walked to another gate which was opened by the BOP man, and Jerry went inside. Max and I stayed to watch Jerry through the surreal rolled barbed wire as he made his way to another wing into the bowels of the prison where he will be for the next six months, until March.

This morning it’s now sunny and pleasant. Jerry was eager to go inside. He was tired, and we hope he can get some sleep.

We look forward to seeing him on visits and when he is released.

Folks wanting to visit Jerry are welcome to stay here at my home.

Peace and Solidarity,

Janice Sevre-Duszynska